Speaking of turning things in on time, our class is reading Waiting for Godot, an existentialist play about two men waiting for someone named Godot (I don't think he shows ever up). Existentialists believe that life has no meaning and so we can do what we want but because society is used to a certain way if we don't do things that way we will cause despair. At first I thought existentialism was depressing because life has no meaning but then I realized that life is what you make it. It's like the old Johnny Mathis song "Life is What You Make It." I don't know, my dad told me to put that and now he is playing it on the piano. But the point is that you have to make the choices that will define your life. I was born a baby and if I die a famous movie director I will be the one that made that happen. Not my parents or God, just me.
It's like that movie Yes Man starring Jim Carrey. Jim Carrey is a tedious boring man who always says no. Then he attends a seminar in which the speaker convinces him to say yes to everything. By saying yes, he goes on a serious of misadventures that change his life. He ends up a happy man with the girl of his dreams and a host of happy friends.
So really, existentialism is a happy thought. Sure Jim Carrey has some moments where his life sucks and you're not sure how the movie can end happy but the end is happy. Life is going to be full of sad moments but sadness makes the happy moments even better. Existentialism is along the same lines as Carpe Diem or Seize the Day. Life is all about the choices you make. Sounds a little similar to the Chaos Theory, rights? Did you like that segway? Unless of course, I'm totally off with my theory on existentialism. Until next time, I should have taken CP.
Very nicely done Nick! Except for your last sentence: I hate it. :-)
ReplyDelete