Tuesday, April 10, 2012

March Blog

In class, we read the book Dr. Faustus, the story of a man of science who sells his soul to the devil to gain ultimate knowledge.  The discussion in class was whether or not Faustus was truly evil.  Some people just assumed he was evil just because he associated with the devil.  But Faustus struck me as a man who valued  knowledge over religion to the point where he would do anything to learn more.  It was not that he worshiped Satan, he worshiped knowledge.  It seems that no matter what you are doing, if you are doing it for God then it is good but if you are doing it for Satan then it is bad.  You can see this in the movie, The Boondock Saints.  Two Irish brothers became vigilantes on the word of God.  They are killing people but they are killing them for God so it is morally right, or so it would seem.  Killing people for God is okay but learning through the Devil is bad.
 In the end, I believe that the play Dr. Faustus is Christian propaganda, designed to make people convert to Christianity.  But it also has another effect, people who read this connect knowledge to Satan.  So, learning is bad.  This makes science seem like the work of hell.  Do not mistake this anti-Christianity.  I am not anti-religion just pro-knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Great connection Nick! I am pro-knowledge also.... just not pro-knowledge-for-power-over-others :-)
    I'm glad you did not take CP.

    ReplyDelete